After last year’s miserable showing in terms of finished quilts (I can count on less than one hand the number of quilts I finished), I’m on a bit of a roll this year. Believe it or not, I actually finished piecing Henrik Jane! It only took two years! I finished six months earlier than my target date! And… I forgot to take pictures before I gave it to the quilter! Sorry. It ended up looking way awesome, if I don’t say so myself. I promise I will take pictures in August when it comes back from the quilter.
While working on finishing up Henrik Jane, and while working on beating Red Dead Redemption (a.k.a. Grand Theft Horsie), I also managed to finish piecing my MoMo-fabric-based bento-box-ish quilt, MoMoBeBo:
Sorry, this picture is totally out of focus, but I’m too lazy to take another. You get the idea of what it looks like, right? I’m such a great blogger. Sigh.
I am delighted with how this project turned out. I knew it would look exactly like what I wanted because I
just copied someone else was strongly inspired by this post. I had long admired the bento box quilts I’d seen on Flickr, but most of them were done in either solids (which are lovely, but if you look at my past history with overly busy quilts you can tell they aren’t really my thing) or in wonky blocks which really aren’t my thing. I like my cutting to be neat and orderly, thank you! Anyway, I ordered the official bento box pattern right when I started quilting but it seemed way too complicated to a newbie. There were so many variations and the cutting seemed strange for something that was just rectangles. But this tutorial (which I originally found on Moda Bake Shop) was so straight-forward, and the result was so charming! Charming, and crazy busy and bright, just like I like ’em, and not at all wonky!
I had a “Wonderland” layer cake moldering in a closet upstairs, and a gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop burning a hole in my pocket so I picked up a layer cake of “It’s a Hoot” to go with it. Mixing the two lines was a lot of fun; I felt like “It’s a Hoot” made “Wonderland” a little more playful, while “Wonderland” lent “It’s a Hoot” a little sophistication. Sure, some of the colors didn’t seem to play perfectly together all the time, but this was a great lesson for me in just going with it, and seeing where the quilt took me. After all the tiny pieces of Henrik Jane, it was great to just rip through the easy cutting and enjoy the easy piecing. The MoMo fabrics were so soft and thin, I could finger-press most of the seams, too, making it even faster to hand-piece.
My only concern with bento box quilts is that I don’t like seeing the plus signs created at the corners of the blocks. I want to see the repeating squares. My solution to this is to hand quilt this puppy! Woo-hoo! My hand-quliting on Raccoonsweet has been going very well, and I’m really enjoying the process. It’s time to ratchet it up and hand-quilt a quilt I love, rather than one that’s only so-so. I’m thinking I’m going to use bright yellow thread to quilt squares in each round of each block. I just need to bite the bullet and get basting, which, let’s be honest, isn’t high on my list of things I’d love to do.
What’s more fun than basting a quilt? Starting a new project, of course! Meet FiestaFudd!
The color in this picture is a little wonky; I can assure you the lemon yellow looks good in person. Honest!
When I saw the early pictures from Quilt Market showcasing the new Anna Maria Horner line, Loulouthi, I knew I was in love. Anna Maria’s “Good Folks” is still one of my all-time favorite lines, but the quilt I’m making out of it is slow, slow going (although I did finish another block for it in the last two weeks; that only leaves something like a zillion still to go). Meanwhile, I had fallen in love with the cover quilt from one of McCall’s Quick Quilting books. “Quick quilting” seemed like a really appealing alternative to the glacial progress on the Good Folks broken dishes project. It was a match made in heaven! The only catch was finding a solid to go with the prints. I got it in my head that I only wanted to use shot cotton, which, of course, I don’t have a color card for. I ended up ordering some lemon shot cotton for another project and lo and behold, it looked pretty awesome with the Loulouthi. At first I wasn’t sold, but after making these test blocks, I like how it gives it an almost Mexican pottery feel. Maybe it was all the time spent in Mexico in Grand Theft Horsie, but that was enough for me to say, “Lemon it is!” Each time I see this quilt, I’ll think of playing poker in Chuparosa with John Marston and the gang.