After three weeks of working (two of stitching and one of ripping), I’m pleased to announce that I have finished the “November Windows” piece! Woo-hoo! This brings my 2008 Finished Pieces count to three! How pathetic. But, still, I have an adorable little wintry piece to show for it!
I’m super-pleased with how it turned out. I hated working on 32 count with doubled-stranded floss but the end result was worth it. The overall size is perfect (it’s about 4 inches by 6, or thereabouts) and the colors and matte look of the DMC (and the over dyed floss I used for the writing) are just what the design called for. The only problem is the quality of my stitching itself was a little off. I struggled with how loosely woven the 32 count linen was, and found myself splitting the linen threads often. I need to work on being a little bit more deliberate with my stitching. That said, I was proud that I took the time to railroad the entire thing. (Railroading, by the way, is a technique where you make sure the needle is in between the two strands of floss when it enters the hole of the linen; this ensures that the floss lies flat and even across the linen when it’s pulled tight.)
Railroading makes for slow going — I like to think if I’d done it in silk and if I hadn’t miscounted and needed to rip out a good sixth of it, heh, I could have finished it in a week and a half — but I think it was worth it.
Here’s the dreaded cornucopia all correctly stitched:
Here are the two houses:
I’m not sure I’ve ever stitched a fox before; I can’t get over how adorable it is! The turkey is a little less adorable. I think it wasn’t meant to be studied up close.
Here’s the money element — the giant pumpkin:
As much as I love the pumpkin, the thing that really makes this piece, I think, is the line of wintry trees along the top:
All in all, the pommerdoodling over this chart was worth it! I can’t wait to get it framed and have it hanging on the wall.